Wednesday, February 6, 2008

It's Over, Already

It is the middle of the night and the strains of the "Triumphal March from 'Aida'" have just finished playing. Almost immediately, a gay, flighty little mazurka titled "The Jolly Coppersmith" begins to play from the speaker of my television. Egad! I have fallen asleep in the bedroom while checking out the rerun of the meeting of the courts of Rex and Comus I had watched earlier in the night in my living room. It is a Mardi Gras staple that has increased in coverage from the 15 minute one-camera, black and white presentation I recall as a kid to the more than three and a half hour long multi-colored production broadcast over the local PBS station. I am still tired even after resting the entire day. This Carnival season is history and it seems a lifetime ago that the process began back in October with coronation balls and the research into the ball themes. This was the second earliest date that Carnival Day could be held and the season was compressed in a way that was exacerbating. For me it was a day of unwinding, not partying as one might expect. I enjoyed the spectacle of the day-long proceedings from the sanctity of my bed and the peacefulness of my living room. I did get out for a while, but it was only for a short time and I must admit it felt good to not worry about work or other pursuits. On the one hand, I am glad that it is finished, but like a jilted lover, I am overwrought that its conclusion, while necessary also smarts.
Now that the results of Super Tuesday are in, it would appear that some of what the pundits had been predicting came true, but that no nominations were decided and campaigning will still go on. No big winner for the Republicans, although McCain is certainly well on his way. The other big Republican story would seem to be Romney's sputtering campaign and Huckabee's resurgence. Wow! It's going to be a long winter for the G.O.P., especially for the uneasy conservative minions. Meanwhile, Demos Clinton and Obama are still picking up wins in different areas. The Barack Express is moving at breakneck speed, but the Hillary juggernaut is moving along too, picking up momentum in key metro areas. It is only February, folks. We've got a lot more to come.
Final days for the poll: The straw poll at bottom right won't allow me to change the names of those who dropped out (Edwards, Thompson, and Giuliani), but it will allow those of you who have already voted to change your vote. Only five days remain. Right now, though, Clinton, Edwards, and Obama are tied. That means that three votes for Edwards and one for Giuliani are essentially wasted. If anyone wishes to correct that, please do so. Or, if you'd like to vote for your preference before the poll ends, please do so.

No comments: