Friday, August 22, 2008

Bird watching

Louisiana has been called the Sportsman's Paradise because of the veritable wealth of wetlands, forests and other natural resources it enjoys. As a result, there are fishermen, hunters and nature lovers who find themselves a picturesque corner of the Louisiana outdoors and have at it. There are numerous commercial fishermen who ply their trade in the warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico, which is where the plentiful supply of shrimp, crabs and oysters are found. Not that anyone here who keeps kosher would have any of those. Yeah...right. But unlike those hunters with the high powered rifles and state of the art scopes or those Ted Nugent types who arm themselves with powerful bows and specially tipped arrows, I am incapable of harming a fellow creature. Not that there's anything wrong with hunting, mind you. When it comes to my idea of getting attuned with nature, I try to find myself a lovely place where I can view nature at hand, on the wing as it were. I have taken up the hobby of bird watching, which some consider boring. I find it exciting and I attempt to view my high-flying friends in all of their beauty in their native haunts. To this end I have been hanging out watching, waiting and enjoying these lovely works of nature, while enjoying a festive repast or a delightful libation. I do have to endure some high noise levels in this particular environ, but it is all part of the hobby. Meanwhile, for those of you who eschew hunting, please feel free to join me where viewing these incredible winged wonders goes on into the wee hours of the morning. I've got to tell you it really has made me appreciate all of the special wonders of nature and I hope to view much more in the days, weeks, months and years to come. So in case I've piqued your interest, here's where you can find me:


No comments: